Tuesday, November 30, 2010

At last :)

This was written Sunday night upon my arrival:


Tonight I landed in Tehran and what a great feeling it is. I had a bit of anxiety flying in only because this is my first time coming here by myself and I was unsure how strict customs would be or what questions they would ask. Either way the flight is was great, easy, comfortable, the plane was nice and there was a lady next to me that reminded me of my aunt. Once I saw the lights of the city a rush of excitement came over me. I haven’t been back to Iran in six years, so much has change, my family has moved and grown. Some of my cousins are now married others no longer married, life has happened and I wasn’t here to see it.

It was interesting to see how much times have changed. I remember when I was young and we were flying into Iran they would announce that all the ladies now have to cover their hair because we have entered the country. Now they don’t even tell you, once you land and are coming off the plane all the ladies put their scarfs on and walk out. I of course was nervous and covered my entire head and didn’t let any hair show but you should see the girls. They are ready to defy the laws and show that they will do as they please. Some of the ladies just wore hats, others had scarfs only covering the back of their heads. I hope to see the day when we can walk the streets of Iran free of such things.

As I walked off the plane I could hear Persian music playing, people greeting each other in farsi and the smell of Iran...I knew I finally made it! I had a smile ear to ear...which now looking back I bet people were wondering why. I made it through customs with no problems, grabbed my bags and headed towards the exit. I saw my cousins on the other side of the glass waving happily and hurried to hug them. It was a wonderful arrival as my uncle, two cousins and one of their wife’s came to welcome me. It’s crazy that I haven’t had any communication with them over the last few years, I just hear from my dad all the news and send my hello’s. I feel as though I have to get to know everyone again.

The drive home was easy, I called my parents and let them know that I was safe and sound. Now here I am, at last I am here and I can’t believe it. I have been so excited to come to Iran and it’s funny I don’t understand why it is so hard to come more often. It is expensive and you need at least two weeks for a trip but how hard is that once every 2 or 3 years? This is some place that I should come and more often than not.

Anyway, I am so excited to wake up, have a nice breakfast, see my cousins and the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment