Sunday, November 21, 2010

Everything I thought Paris would be!

My first full day Paris was everything I hoped it would be. Paris is everything that you think of; it’s the woman dressed perfectly walking her little white dog, it’s the lovers sitting in the window of a restaurant holding hands, it’s the French man dressed like he is about to get into a Porsche but is just going to his job at the local cafe, yet it is all this together that what makes this place so wonderful.

I was unsure of wether I could handle the streets and navigation here. I generally have a good sense of direction and feel fine while traveling, but when I got to Paris and saw the roads I was a bit concerned. Each road looks like the one before and the buildings are so high on both sides that you can’t see further than a quarter mile ahead of you. Regardless I had no choice, I knew the address of my hotel so if at the worst case I got lost I could get a cab ride back.

I decided after talking to a gentleman last night that I should see the one thing that makes me think of Paris first; the Eiffel Tower. Once I see this then I know that I will realize that I am really here. So I set out and went towards the Opera House, I had seen it at night but it does the beautiful building no justice. Once in the day light the Opera is amazing, so grand and stunning. I then made my way through the beautiful streets of Paris, half of which is not on a map, but you can guess your way through. Once I made it to Rue Royale I could feel that something good was coming. You have to realize that I had no clue how far anything was from me, I just knew that the sun was out and I wanted to walk and see all that I could. I got to Place De La Concorde and my eyes weren’t sure where to look. Everything was just so huge and in every direction you look there is something amazing. I began walking straight unsure of which way to go and then as I looked up towards my right I saw my first view of the Eiffel Tower. It was a sight to see and my eyes were glued. I began making my way towards the tower and then I realized that I was at the end of the Champs-Elysees. I got so excited that I was there I started walking down towards the Arch De Triomphe and looking at all the little shops. After about ten minutes I realized that I was not going in the direction of the tower and I needed to stay focused.

I got back on track and after a pretty long walk I finally made it to my destination. There I was, my 5 foot frame was looking up 1,063 feet at a masterpiece! I was so excited to be seeing the Eiffel Tower and it was such a beautiful day. I walked all around and under the tower and took picture after picture. I was in the mist of hundreds of people doing the exact same thing but who can blame them. I was so excited I called my mom and told her where I was standing and how amazing it feels to just be in Paris.

I walked across the street and ordered at chocolate and banana crepe, even through it was a rip off due to the area, but I sat in front of the Eiffel Tower and ate smiling the entire time. It was wonderful and I was happy!

I decided to start walking back but maybe catching the metro at some point because it was getting cold and I was super tiered of walking. On my way back I noticed a young man looking at me as we walked a few blocks, then at one intersection he crossed and I stayed back to look at my map. When I turned around he was standing right there asking me where I was trying to get to. I really didn’t have an answer because I was just walking, but I was thinking to go to the Louis Vuitton store so that is what I said. So he said to come with him and he will show me. Now, I know most of you are thinking that this is not so safe but we were in broad daylight and surrounded by people. He led me to the Champs-Elysees and said to have a coffee then he would take me. So I had a nice warm coffee and then he did exactly what he said and he took me to LV. He was a nice guy, young, dressed great and I wasn’t sure what he did but it is so easy to not care because they all look so good. Turns out that he was working at the cafe he took me to...I just don’t get it. I mean these men are super cute and looking so good and then they end up working at a cafe! Anyway, I now see where the reputation of French men comes from. They are very cute and suave. He put me in line at LV, kissed my hand and said bye. The only thing that could have made it any better was if he actually walked in and bought me my favorite bag ;)

I waited in line for about 20 minutes but once the wait was up I walked into the largest Louis Vuitton store in the WORLD. It was....AMAZING! There were bags, wallets, shoes, clothes, jewelry and more. It was 5 stories of heaven and I spent my time in there. Although I walked out empty handed I was a happy gal.

The rest of my night was pretty quiet, I went for pizza and a movie in the evening. Then I hurried to sleep so Sunday could come and I would see my brother and Nina who are coming for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment