Saturday, November 13, 2010

A Wee Bit of Scotland

Scotland is like reaching the summit of a mountain, every direction you look you are in awe of the what you are seeing. As we drove north from Edinburgh my eyes were glued to the window. Now I have to say this, while we were in Ireland everyone told us that if we love it there then we will be blown away by Scotland. So I had very high expectations of Scotland and I was waiting to see this extreme beauty. At first I was not so impressed but in a matter of about 30minutes that changed quickly. Scotland is stunning, as we drove we passed all types of terrain. There were mountains covered with beautiful vegetation and others that were rocky cliffs.

One of the attractions that the Scottish pride themselves on are their lochs (this is the name of all their lakes). There are four major lochs all connected by man made canals. From end to end one can actually go straight through Scotland from the North Sea to the Atlantic Ocean. The biggest of these lochs is Loch Ness. Some of you may have hear of this lake mainly because of Nessy (a mythical creature that lives in Loch Ness and has generated millions of dollars from tourists).

As pretty as these lochs are they are the main attraction here and to me they resemble lakes in north Georgia or NC. Don’t get me wrong, they are beautiful but that is not what makes this area stunning. Its the mountains that surround the lochs filled with luscious trees all changing colors, the streams or falls that are pouring into the lochs and the over abundance of water that fill the lochs to the rim, making them look as though they are level with the road. On one side of the road you see the loch right next to you and on the other side you have a mountain with water flowing through and creating a path to pour into the loch. These are the beauties of the area.

On the second day of our tour we traveled around the Isle of Skye. This was my favorite day for many reasons; we got the explore a bit on our own, it was sunny and clear skies and we were by the ocean. I actually loved the vastness of the ocean with the cliffs along side much better than the lochs. As you stand on the edge of a cliff you look out at the vast ocean, the water is so blue and the cliffs are covered with green grass. Again there are waterfalls that are stories high pouring into the ocean. This was stunning. It is hard to explain such beauty, I wonder if the million pictures I took will show what I was looking at.

We also visited an area called Fairy’s Glenn. This was super cute, we drove up a small one lane windy road and when we reach the top we saw the greenest grass, a cute cobble stone wall and an area that feels much like a movie scene. They say you may see fairies running around, but we had no such luck ;)

As we drove around that day and I saw the Isle of Skye, I couldn’t help but think about how lucky and blessed I am to be seeing all this. Not only am I lucky to see one place of such beauty but multiple places. This is truly a once in a lifetime experience. As I have met people along the way they have all told me how lucky I am to be doing this and that they could never travel like this. My response to them has been yes I am lucky but I made this happen, I planned for it and created this opportunity and I stuck with what I really wanted to do. At the end of my life I don’t want to regret not doing something I have dreamt about. However, I now realize that I am lucky in a sense that some people don’t even have the opportunity to take advantage of and I realize that now more than ever. I am so thankful and from the bottom of my heart I thank God and my parents for their amazing support and for standing behind me with every decision that I have made. Having support is the greatest feeling and with it you know you can get through anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment