Saturday, November 13, 2010

Edinburgh...time to have some fun!

We returned from our three day tour on Thursday and quickly settled into our apartment. I will tell you, traveling out of a suitcase for a month will get on your nerves after a while. Both my cousin and I were ready to have a place we call home even if it was only for 6 days. We completely unpacked our bags and filled the drawers! We went to the grocery store and stocked our mini frig with all sorts of fruits and veggies. We were so ready for a healthy home cooked meal. I am so sick of fried pub food or crapy sandwiches. We decided on three home cooked dinners and with luck we would have left overs for lunch. We also bought lots of milk...for those of you who know me, know that I LOVE my milk. I swear I could drink a gallon right now.

I cooked the first night, our meal was Persian kabob made over the stove with rice and tomatoes. We got some yogurt that was to die for and we ate ourselves stupid. The second night we made tacos and the third night my cousin cooked yummy chicken pesto pasta and a huge salad, we also had a good bottle of wine. The other nights we ate out but treated ourselves to some better restaurants.

The days we were in Edinburgh went by fast. We decided to be lazy one day and do some shopping and walking through the city. Friday night we partied until the wee hours of the morning. We went to a place called Lulu, which is the hot club of the city, we certainly liked it ;) Saturday night we went out as well, but I think we were hoping for another amazing night like we had on Friday and; well everyone knows when you want a great night it never happens. The place we went to was just not as good as Lulu, the people were a bit younger and the fact is that we were worn out from the night before. We stayed until we could and headed home. The days following we saw the city and went to a few parks. We walked down Grassmarket, which is a fun street and well known. We went to Edinburgh Castle and the buildings around it and we saw Holyrood Palace (this is where the royal family stays when they visit). One night we took a ghost tour, Edinburgh is supposed to be pretty hunted so we figured we would get the crap scared out of us. Sadly we were very disappointed and not scared at all. Even 3 stores underground with no lights, didn’t get us scared...and there were apparently ghosts all around us!

My cousin and I decided that on Tuesday night we would go out because it was our last night together before we parted ways. We also thought it would be fun to celebrate my birthday together, even though it is still a week away. We went and ate some great Thai food and then hit up Lulu like it was no ones business. We went out and danced our happy butts off. We didn’t care if people talked to us or not, we went to the dance floor and never left. The next morning was a different story...I was not a happy camper. I had a hangover from hell; the worst headache which I deserve because I didn’t specify my vodka and I couldn’t move. Thank God we didn’t have to check out early because it took me a good 3 hours to shower, eat, and get ready to leave. I finally revived after the 20 minute bus ride and mini nap on the way to the airport. For a second there I didn’t think I would make it ;)

I was very sad to part ways with my cousin, we are like two peas in a pod. Not once in the course of the last month did we fight or get on each others nerves. We like the same music, eat the same foods, both hate the mornings and are night owls. More than anything we were just in sync. We both liked the same bars/clubs, same hotel preferences and we even like sightseeing the same things. It was a gift to have this time with her and we got even closer than before. On our last full day together we went to a park and walked around, then we decided to sit a cute place and have lunch and some wine. We ended up sitting and talking for a few hours. All great conversations, about life, love and family. We talked about each other and towards the end we teared up a bit because we are so far away from one another and wish we weren’t.

I can’t imagine how much fun it would be to live close to one another. To be able to say, “‘I’ll cook dinner tonight and we can watch our shows together.” It is gut wrenching sometimes because we are so far and know we would have a blast together. However, we can only deal with what has been given to us and make the best out of it. If only there was a way to get Australia and Georgia closer together!

No comments:

Post a Comment