Friday, July 8, 2011

The impossible...not so impossible!

They say incredible people do incredible things.

Five days ago my father and his best friend left to go out west and hike to the summit of Mount Whitney. After two failed attempts this was the year that my dad was determined to make it. Last year the smoke from the fires prevented him from making it so it just added to his determination.
Day one they hiked from the foot of the mountain to base camp @12,000ft. Once they got there the set camp and prepared for the next days hike to the summit and back. Once they woke up the weather took a turn for the worst. This year it seems as though it is still winter out there. From base camp up the mountain was covered in snow.
With the right determination and tools the guys made it to the summit just in time to take a few pictures, sign their names and prep for the way down. The minute they started to descend the clouds rolled in and the thunder started.
By the time they made it back to base camp the rain and hail were coming down. My dad said it took them about an hour to finally warm up in their sleeping bags. All day Wednesday while I was working I would check my phone or call my dad to see if by chance their phones were working. I started to get a bit worried by later afternoon but sure enough I got the call that said they were safe and made it to the top.

Tonight my father came home and I made a him a home cooked meal and had a card waiting for him with a glass of Barghi wine. We made a toast and chatted about his trip. I realize more and more that my father is one of the most, if not the most amazing person I know. I don't say this because he is my dad but at the age of 67 he as run 30 marathons, hiked Mount Whiney @14505 ft, biked around Lake Tahoe twice and well the list could go on. He is a man of his word.
Growing up I can remember him teaching me that when you set a goal you have to stick with it. There is no such thing as impossible or that you can't, rather once you set your mind the rest is easy. He always says more than 50% of anything is all in your mind. I can say that we were raised this way and learned this, for this I am so thankful. I see myself and know that the impossible can be reached.
I am so proud of my father!

No comments:

Post a Comment